Re: unifying with back_meta for DNS

> A simple configuration for back-meta you may find here
> http://dkluenter.gmxhome.de/Muster-slapd.conf.html
>
> The uppercase suffices are presented by meta backend, while the lower
> case suffices are the remote servers.
> Due to the fact that back-ldap is still actively developed,

... and will be for a long time: back-meta is not intended as a
replacement of back-ldap; on the contrary, it's been debated for a while
if back-meta could be abandoned in favor of glued instances of back-ldap.
This project is now in standby until we find some time to work on
(non-trivial) enabling asynchronous internal searches...

> I would
> suggest to experiment with stacked back-ldap, something like
>
> database ldap
> suffix cn=people,dc=example,dc=com
> uri ldap://some.host
> subordinate
>
> database ldap
> suffix cn=dns,dc=example,dc=com
> uri ldap://other.host
> subordinate
>
> database bdb
> suffix dc=example,dc=com

Let me add that glueing back-ldap is at all a desirable solution.  The
only disadvantage with respect to back-meta on slow connections is that
searches are performed sequentially on all targets.  If you can live with
this...

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati