Re: LDAP hangs requiring slapd stop and deleting __db.00* files

--On Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:56 PM +0530 Abhishek Daga <abhishek@ostech.biz> wrote:

Hello and thanks for the quick response.
I am posting some more relevant information in case that will help
diagnose the situation better.

Hardware information & Versions used.
a) openldap-2.1.30
b) Berkeley DB 4.2.52
c) Hardware: CPU - Intel p4 1.4 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB IDE Hard Drive
We have around 5000 registered users of which 350 check email daily.
However being popular domains, we get a lot of spam as well as bounced
invalid mail (where someone is using our domain as return mail). So after
putting some filters/firewall in place we can determine that we get
around 3/4 requests a second.

You have suggested using db_recover which we have tried. As per what we understood, db_recover can be used when our database is corrupt and we need to recover data but in our case ldap goes off not the data. In log file it shows authdaemon.ldap TEMP fail. I am pasting below the contents of our slapd.conf file if that will further assist in debugging the issue we are facing. If you could tell me what other information is required, I'll be glad to fish it out for you.

The fact that you are deleting the BDB environment files (The __* stuff) suggests some type of corruption. db_recover will correctly close those files out (and remove them). Deleting them manually is not a wise path to take.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer