slapd not responding to sasl_bind

Hi guys!

I hope this topic is not too OT, I think it is worth a try!

I have following problem, I have a debian woody system with
ldap authentication for different services, like squid, postfix and
vpn (pptp and l2tp). Therefor I am using cyrus sasl.
(ldap 2.1.30, cyrus-sasl 2.1.19)

When I try to use
"ldapwhoami -Y DIGEST-MD5 -U testuser"
after a reboot, the system responds very fast and everything
works fine.

After a pptp-radius-ldap authentication (not via sasl, anonymous bind),
my server doesn't respond to
"ldapwhoami -Y DIGEST-MD5 -U testuser", just the output
"SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started" appears and
nothing happens ..
But not always, sometimes it works still after the radius-ldap-authent.

Does anyone have an idea? There is no useable info in the
logfile. No difference to a working attempt.

regards
peda