Re: slapd: Too many open files

--On Sunday, March 20, 2005 12:53 PM -0800 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Sunday, March 20, 2005 2:48 PM +0530 Saket Sathe
<saket@cc.iitb.ac.in> wrote:

Hi Quanah,
I tried setting fs.file-max by:

$ sysctl -w fs.file-max=32767

But again slapd is giving me the "Too many open files" error.

This problem is not specific to OpenLDAP, as it is an OS related error.

See:

<http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-11.html#ss11.4>

for some possible ideas.

I think the more interesting question though is why the server has so
many files open at one time. 32767 open files for a single server process
is probably not a good idea. Most likely you have some poorly behaved
clients that need to be forced to shut down their existing connections
before creating new ones.

Hm, yeah... Setting an idletimeout would probably be a good thing as well.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer