Re: slapd: Too many open files

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Sunday, March 20, 2005 2:48 PM +0530 Saket Sathe <saket@cc.iitb.ac.in> wrote:

Hi Quanah,
I tried setting fs.file-max by:

$ sysctl -w fs.file-max=32767

But again slapd is giving me the "Too many open files" error.

This problem is not specific to OpenLDAP, as it is an OS related error.

See:

<http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-11.html#ss11.4>

for some possible ideas.

I think the more interesting question though is why the server has so many files open at one time. 32767 open files for a single server process is probably not a good idea. Most likely you have some poorly behaved clients that need to be forced to shut down their existing connections before creating new ones.

--
 -- Howard Chu