Re: online backup with slapcat?

Craig White wrote:

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 08:52 -0600, fuser9bb@hotpop.com wrote:

Craig White wrote:

3. is there an even better way to backup openldap databases?

I suggest searching the archives, as it is quite possible to slapcat the DB without shutting down slapd in OL 2.2, depending on the backend you use.

----
FAQ at openldap.org

<http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/287.html>

Craig

Can someone explain what " For BDB and HDB, slapcat(8) can generally be used while the server is running" means. Is it safe or not? I'm still at the same point in my understanding. :)

----
# grep database /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf
# ldbm database definitions
database        bdb

(ok I'm sloppy on my labels)

my backend is bdb

I would guess that the term 'generally' refers to older versions of
openldap & sleepycat - perhaps < 2.2.13 and 4.2.52 respectively and it
appears that the usage of openldap < 2.2.13 and sleepycat < 4.2.52 are
not supported by this message base anyway.

back-bdb has supported online backups since 2.1.5 or so. back-hdb has naturally supported online backups since it first appeared (in 2.2.0) since it is just a variant of back-bdb.

--
 -- Howard Chu