Re: online backup with slapcat?

Craig White wrote:

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 08:52 -0600, fuser9bb@hotpop.com wrote:

Craig White wrote:

3. is there an even better way to backup openldap databases?

I suggest searching the archives, as it is quite possible to slapcat the DB without shutting down slapd in OL 2.2, depending on the backend you use.

FAQ at openldap.org

Can someone explain what " For BDB and HDB, slapcat(8) can generally be used while the server is running" means. Is it safe or not? I'm still at the same point in my understanding. :)

# grep database /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf
# ldbm database definitions
database        bdb

(ok I'm sloppy on my labels)

my backend is bdb

I would guess that the term 'generally' refers to older versions of
openldap & sleepycat - perhaps < 2.2.13 and 4.2.52 respectively and it
appears that the usage of openldap < 2.2.13 and sleepycat < 4.2.52 are
not supported by this message base anyway.

back-bdb has supported online backups since 2.1.5 or so. back-hdb has naturally supported online backups since it first appeared (in 2.2.0) since it is just a variant of back-bdb.

 -- Howard Chu