Re: bdb backend: memp_trickle

--On Tuesday, February 15, 2005 2:14 PM -0600 Eric Irrgang <erici@motown.cc.utexas.edu> wrote:

I'm using OpenLDAP 2.2.23 and Berkeley DB 4.3.27.

Okay, I strongly suggest not using BDB 4.3 with OpenLDAP 2.2.

I haven't read much about people using the hdb back-end and for some
reason had the impression that it was being abandoned.  Maybe because
there is no man page on slapd-hdb in the current (2.2.23) release. I
haven't had a chance to read much about it yet or dig through the sources
for the differences in the way the db environment is used in the two
backends.

hdb certainly is not abandoned... It is actively maintained. No idea why the man page isn't there.

I guess I still have the same question for hdb, though.  Does it somehow
trickle the in-memory changes out to disk or does it only flush
periodically at a checkpoint or when closing the environment?

That I don't know. I'll let the developer answer that one. ;)

I wanted to experiment with hdb, but time constraints have caused me to
stick with what I know a little better until after our project at least
gets its first release out.  I just don't know enough about what it does
differently to make guesses as to how to tune it yet or what DB_CONFIG
settings might be relevant.

It configures the same as back-bdb. If you have back-bdb configured already, and you want to try hdb, slapcat, clean up the old db, change slapd.conf to read "database hdb", slapadd.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer