Access Control and GUI clients

I'm trying to access a freshly built OpenLDAP 2.2 directory from eLDAPo, Labe
and PHPLDAPExplorer using the "directory manager" user profile defined in my
slapd.conf file (the usual "Manager" described by the Quick start guide).

In all of these cases, the GUI client fails to bind as an authenticated user
and falls back to an Anonymous binding. Of course, OpenLDAP accepts to bind
with ldapadd and ldapsearch using the same username/password.

Why OpenLDAP refuses to bind when contacted by a GUI client while it accepts
to bind to ldapadd and ldapsearch with the same user profile?

Is there any subtle difference between these two kind of bindings?

BTW: I'm still using the default "simple" authentication model for my
installation (plain text passwords.)

Thanks in advance for your help

Alessandro Bottoni