Using SecurID for authentication

Has anyone hacked up openldap to authenticate against an ACE SecurID
server rather than using the normal password mechanisms?  My plan was
to implement it much like contrib/slapd-modules/passd/kerberos.c, but if
the work has already been done elsewhere, I'll gladly save myself
the effort.

Another question:  is this the right way to go about it?  I have a feeling
it is, however there is a lot of talk about overlays these days.  The page
at Symas (http://www.symas.com/techtips/introtooverlays.html) implies
that overlays are mainly for modifying the way the backends work.

thanks,

-jkl