From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org [mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org] On Behalf Of Howard Chu
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 9:45 AM
To: Karolis
Cc: Szuts Attila; openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: openldap db wiped?

Karolis Dautartas wrote:

>what is the difference between running this script every 5 mins and
>having a "checkpoint 5 X"   directive in slapd.conf?

In OpenLDAP 2.1 and 2.2 the checkpoint directive acts as follows - *when
there is a write operation*, and more than <check> minutes have occurred
since the last checkpoint, perform the checkpoint. If more than <check>
minutes pass after a write without any other write operations occurring,
no checkpoint is performed, so it's possible to lose the last write that
occurred.

In OpenLDAP 2.3 this behavior has been changed; checkpoints occur every
<check> minutes as I already mentioned in my previous email here.

--
  -- Howard Chu