Re: Building 2.2.19 from source

Jon Roberts:

[...]

> The only concern would be security issues with OpenSSL 0.9.7a vs e (I
> seem to recall there was an issue with 0.9.7c). FWIW, openldap compiles
> just fine with 0.9.7a along with the modern BDB and Cyrus SASL that come
> with Fedora Core 3. Ordinarily, I would prefer to build these from source
> too, but the dependencies are onerous particularly for OpenSSL. Free ain't
> easy, but it's getting better all the time.

FWIW, if the Red Hat RHEL/RHAS3 Openssl 0.9.7a is kept right up to date
(IIRC latest Openssl is update 4), there will be no security risks (ASN.1
vulnerability). Red Hat keeps the same version numbers for dependencies -
confusing.

However, I agree with Quanah and Jon and prefer to compile and install my
own stuff for Openldap, including Openssl. It mostly goes into /usr/local
(exceptions are SASL2 and Heimdal).

--Tonni

--
mail: tonye@billy.demon.nl