Must slapd be shutdown for db_archive to work?

Greetings!

I'm using openldap 2.2.17 with BDB 4.2.52.

I have included the checkpoint command in slapd.conf.  (I've tried various
combinations of kbyte and time.)  I've got slapd debug logging going, so I
know that the command has been digested OK.

As long as slapd is running, when I run 'db_archive -v', no log files are
listed.  However, any time after I shutdown slapd, then 'db_archive -v'
lists files to archive.

I've also tried 'db_checkpoint -1' while slapd is running.  No effect.

Does slapd have to be shutdown before db_archive will work?  I haven't seen
anything about that anywhere.

Actually, what I'd really like to do is to use DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE in the
DB_CONFIG.  I haven't gotten that to work either.

Thanks very much!

Steven Vernick, Principal Software Engineer
Funk Software, Inc.
35 Forest Ridge Road
Concord, MA 01742  USA
email: svernick@funk.com