ldap and network outage

Hi,

I would like to setup a ldap server to manage centralized password on 40 unix/linux machines.
For security reason, we have 6 sub networks protected by firewall. I would like to know what the best practice to build an LDAP architecture that still allow people to login if there is a network outage in the sub network where the LDAP server is.

Using a slave doesn't seem to solve this problem.

I would like to know if it's possible to get a local copy of password on each machines.
I understand that it can be a security hole in case somebody stole the file on one computer. But  the risk that people cannot login is more important to me.

Or maybe there is an other solution.

Thanks

Jean

Créez votre Yahoo! Mail