RE: lots of write slowing down searches

Hi Patrick,

For the record, back-ldbm is no longer actively maintained and has a number
of problems. You are always better off using back-bdb or back-hdb as your
backend.

Switching to back-bdb would improve search performance during database
modifications. Back-ldbm locks the entire database, so your searches are
blocked for the duration of the modifications, and vice versa. Back-bdb, on
the other hand, uses transactions and fine-grained locking, allowing
searches to continue during operations that modify the database (and
vice-versa). You will still see some degradation in search performance
during write operations, but it should be substantially less. See
http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/756.html for additional information.

Note that OpenLDAP 2.1 has been declared "historic" by the OpenLDAP
foundation, so if you report problems against it you will most likely be
told to upgrade to 2.2.

We are telling our customers to use, and current versions of our OL distro
are based on, OpenLDAP 2.2. It is a substantially better performer, is more
stable, and has more features than OL 2.1, and is actively maintained.

Hope this helps,

Matthew Hardin
Symas Corporation
http://www.symas.com