reset BDB environement

Hello,

I want to remove bdb log files. Scripts using db_archive can do that, but I recently discovered on this list the set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE to place in DB_CONFIG, this solution seems cleaner to me !.
However, how can I tell my slapd to reread DB_CONFIG and hence take into account that new setting. I heard again from this list that __db* files contains the BDB environement, should I just start and stop slapd or should I remove __db* file or something else ?
Is there a way to "see" what is the current BDB evironement setting ?

Thanks.