Re: [JunkMail] Re: BDB 4.3 & DB_TXN_NOT_DURABLE

This is one of the big problems with BDB 4.3 that Quanah has been referring to in a lot of his emails. For reference, it's Sleepycat bug #11505 and we are still working with them to resolve the issue. It currently makes it impractical to perform bulk loads with BDB 4.3. I somewhat regret releasing the BDB 4.3 support in OpenLDAP 2.2.19 because it's now become apparent that this was premature. BDB 4.3 does seem to work well enough in general but this aspect of it is definitely inconvenient.

Fortin, John {PBG} wrote:

Howard Chu wrote:

This flag has been superseded by DB_LOG_INMEMORY.

Except that it doesn't work as documented; the docs says the default

in-memory log buffer size is 1MB but it behaves as if >the default size is
zero. I.e., if you don't specify a log buffer size (DB_CONFIG set_lg_bsize)
then this DB_LOG_INMEMORY >flag doesn't work at all. It seems to work fine
once you have it set though. I've sent a query to Sleepycat about this, >

whether their doc or their code is wrong...

I've changed back-bdb's fasttool option in HEAD to use the new flag, so

beware if you use it.

Howard, what do we need to be aware of?  Also, with DB_TXN_NOT_DURABLE all I
had to do was set it and forget it during the bulk load.  With
DB_LOG_INMEMORY I get the following:

[ldap@pbglap00012 ldap]$ /usr/local/openldap-new/sbin/slapadd  -f
slapd.conf.master_new -l master-20041202.ldif
slapadd: could not add entry dn="uid=5349936,o=people,dc=pbg,dc=com"
(line=1641664): txn_aborted! DB_LOG_BUFFER_FULL: In-memory log buffer is
full (-30993)

My DB_CONFIG is as follows:

set_cachesize   0      524288000        0
set_lg_regionmax        1048576
set_lg_max              10485760
set_lg_bsize            20485760
set_lg_dir              /var/ldapdb/master-new/logs
set_tmp_dir             /tmp
set_flags DB_TXN_NOSYNC
set_flags DB_LOG_INMEMORY

John Fortin