Re: Why is the difference of "objectclass: organization" and "objectclass: domain"?

--On Thursday, November 25, 2004 11:19 AM +1100 Dave Horsfall <daveh@ci.com.au> wrote:

I have no idea why RedHat wants "organization" or why Solaris wants
"nisDomainObject" (I don't use either of them) but my guess is that both
suppliers have seen fit to amend the schema in some way.  Note in
particular that Solaris has its own version of LDAP, and that RedHat
distributions are invariably broken in some way.

Different vendors implement NIS in different ways. You can configure both RedHat and Solaris to use different attributes to get the information they want if you so choose. That is what I've done at Stanford. RedHat & Solaris use the same attributes now from our OpenLDAP directory.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer