RE: OpenLDAP 2.0.X master. OpenLDAP 2.1.X slave

Good day,

Thanks for your reply.

> > We're trying to set up LDAP replication between a 2.0.27 master and an
> > openldap 2.1.29 slave.  The goal is to upgrade the servers to more
> recent
> > versions in the coming months, but we're trying to get it working as-is.
> > Master is Red Hat 9, slave is Fedora Core 2.

> > My guess is that a 2.0.X master server simply does not supply this
> attribute
> > to its slaves, and that it's just not possible for this combination of
> > versions to interoperate

> Your data isn't schema compliant, and you most likely have something
> writing non-schema-compliant data into it.

We are 100% positive that the data is compliant.  We can even add the
records in question to the slave via a manual slapadd with no problems.

> Replicating from 2.1 to 2.0 will be less fun ... so upgrade the slaves
> first ...

As Dave Lewney pointed out (the answer to the original question), a 2.1
slave won't work with a 2.0 master, so this is not possible.  I am guessing
that the same is with a 2.2 slave with a 2.0 master, although I would sure
like to hear otherwise.
> BTW, before someone else suggests it as the answer to every question
> from users not running 2.2 ... you probably should consider 2.2 as 2.1
> is now "historical".

Yep, we know.  2.2 has lots of useful replication features that we'd like

It looks like we'll have a very challenging upgrade to do, if the master and
every single slave need to be upgraded at the same time.

Thanks again for your help,

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP