Re: Error while creating entries in OpenLDAP

1) please don't mail me privately; stay on the list.

>   Hi Pierangelo,
>
>         Thanks again.  I got what you are saying.
>
>         But one more clarification :
>
>             The entry - "cn=Jonathan Adams (with description),
> ou=Europe, ou=Search, o=IMC, c=US" worked fine in Sun ONE directory
> server.
>             In fact, value of naming attribute 'cn' is present but only
> thing is it includes a string within brackets.

It is __NOT__ present.  The fact that the value in the entry and that in
the RDN share some characters doesn't mean it's present.  "Jonathan Adams
(with description)" != "Jonathan Adams" both according to
"caseIgnoreMatch" (the dialect LDAP speaks when talking about the "cn"
attributeType) and to plain English (the language we're speaking right
now).

> 	> adding new entry "cn=Jonathan Adams (with> description), ou=Europe,
> ou=Search, o=IMC, c=US
>            ldap_add: Naming violation (64)
>              additional info: value of naming attribute 'cn' is not
> present in entry
>

>             Presence of those brackets makes the DN invalid?

Brackets are just fine, they have no special meaning in DN.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it