back-perl; where is it working correctly?

After trying to build back-perl into OpenLDAP-2.2.17 under:

  RedHat Linux 9
  RedHat Linux AS 3.0
  Fedora Core 2

and after getting segfaults and other various problems (even after
trying various combinations of patches suggested in various ITS
entries, e.g., ITS 2946), I'm kind of curious:

  Who is using back-perl?
  What environment did you compile it in?
  Would I be generally better off using back-shell?

Any suggestions from people who have successfully built back-perl
and are using it would be very much appreciated.

--

Richard Goerwitz                               richard@Goerwitz.COM
tel: 507 645 7015