Re: fascism

I'm replying to an off list message on list since I think this summarizes a number of the issues I've brought up and ends on a more positive note.

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Digant Kasundra wrote:
I think you are off base here.

I think you're mistaken.

OpenLDAP uses standard LDAP and any product that claims to support LDAP should be able to talk to OpenLDAP just as it would any other LDAP directory. However, the specifics as to how information needs to be structured depends on the application itself and is therefore best discussed on lists setup specifically for that application.

But there are no lists for Outlook admins. A web forum is not a list. And if Microsoft is sponsoring it neither a web forum nor a mailing list will do you much good. How would YOU feel if somebody said "hay, go get help from Microsoft"? Does that not even sound a little like "screw off" to you? Honestly?

It is also off base to expect OpenLDAP to spend time and money supporting other vendor for-profit applications.

That's not what I'm expecting. I'm expecting openldap to let openldap users help each other without kicking them to the curb.

The problem and frustration you are experiencing is because Microsoft products do not interoperate well with non-MS products, and when they do, MS does not document it well, and if you ask questions, MS will not answer you. Your problem is with Microsoft.

Admittedly. Generally speaking when I've had problems with interopating with Microsoft the only place there was any hope of getting help was the relevant mailing list. Take samba for instance. Samba mailing list members don't seem to have any qualms about discussing interoperability.

I'm sorry by your frustration. I'm sorry if your inability to make a for-profit Microsoft product work has turned you off to open source.

I'm hardly turned off to open source. I'm writing this email in pine on a Fedora Core 2 box. I'm going to use other open source tools like tcpdump and ethereal to sniff the LDAP packets between Outlook and OpenLDAP and post the solution. If ethereal doesn't show enough of what's going on in the LDAP packets I'll use Perl's LDAP implementation to talk to AD. No amount of fascism will turn me off to open source. It only makes me fonder of it. Freedom is good. Fascism is bad. Repeat. Rinse.

Considering the people that might be turned off by Kurt's attitude is a conversation that might be worth having.

Perhaps you might want to look at using an actual open source product and ask people on that list now to properly setup your directory information tree to make it work. In other words, the way open source would work would be to discuss problems setting up OpenLDAP here, and problem setting up an email client (Evolution or Mozilla, perhaps) on those mailing lists.

We haven't had any trouble getting mozilla or pine to talk to openldap. Getting the open source pieces of this working was amazingly straight forward IMHO. I'm quite pleased with what I've gotten done in the last week in regard to LDAP. I wish I had been using using it years ago.
My next task will be to get sendmail to share virtusertable entries and local-host-names across a few boxes. If I can spread my mail load out and having the front end boxes send the mail directly to its destination I will be in redundancy nerdvana. Here I go.

--
</chris>

-- C.A.R. Hoare