Re: fascism

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
At 06:20 AM 9/21/2004, Christopher Hicks wrote:
I'm just asking to be allowed to have this discussion without people who don't know the answer choosing to supress conversation.

As I noted when I took the action, the discussion of your Outlook question was suppressed on this list (but obviously not on other lists where that topic would be more appropriate discussed) as it was deemed off-topic.

Yes.

As list administrator, I am charged by the OpenLDAP Project with making that determination as well as taking appropriate steps to keep this list on-topic.

There is sadly contention over the appropriateness in this case.

I note that I have suppressed the meta-discussion
regarding whether my actions were appropriate in this
case, or whether the general list management practices
or list charter should be changed.  Posts in this area
are welcomed.

I'm hoping you meant "not" in the first sentence. Whether you intended to filter the meta-discussion or not, you shut down the thread that contained that meta-discussion. That I feel was an act of supression that is inappropriate and tasteless, not to mention morally reprehensible. I've been on numerous high volume mailing lists with varying degrees of cluefulness and ontopicness. I've easily been on over a hundred mailing lists at various points in time over the last fifteen years. Never in that time have I seen a list admin cut off a topic so quickly or ruthlessly. Others have called your actions drastic. I've used stronger words. But noone is expecting you to be perfect, but this is a case where you chose poorly. Your acceptance of that is naturally not required.

However, I do remind you and others that proper Netiquette is to maintained. It is expected that everyone will avoid use of inflammatory language.

I'm sorry that some of the terms I've used have meanings and flavors beyond those that are strictly relevant to this conversation. If I have hurt anyones feelings by doing so I am truly sorry.

--
</chris>

-- C.A.R. Hoare