Re: Also, Re: What is err=52?

Daniel Henninger <daniel@unity.ncsu.edu> writes:
[...]
>> I have just setup a test system with your configuration, and it works
>> for me :-)

The testsuite has been set up with HEAD and some hundred entries.A
shell script runs ldapsearch every 30 seconds and is still performing.

>> But I think I realise the source of your problem now. Have you ever
>> checked the properties of the socket? If not, set the appropiate
>> properties (rwxrwxrwx).
>
> Hrm.  Mine are indeed set to:
> srwxr-xr-x   1 root     other          0 Aug 17 08:51 ldapi

The clients need to write to the socket.

> Any idea why it works for about 5 days or so and -then- dies?  It
> seems like if it were a path or permissions issue, it would be broken
> immediately and never work.  In my case, it works like a charm for
> approximately 5 days and then stops working, returning the error in
> question.  It really "feels" like a buffer issue of some sort simply
> because, we used to have a heavily used product that was using
> o=NCSU,c=US and, during that time, it only took about 1 day before the
> err=52 started showing up.  Once we make that product use
> dc=ncsu,dc=edu, it takes significantly longer for the error to show
> up.

I have no proven idea, but it might be some administration process
that changes files properties.

>> Frankly, I don't know your setup, but I am running back-ldap as
>> well, proxying and caching a particular tree, but I must admit, I am
>> running 2 different slapd versions on the same host. The master is
>> only started with '-h ldapi:///' while the slave is being started with '-h
>> "ldap:// ldaps"'. The relvant parts of slapd.conf
>> ,----[ slapd.conf ]
>> | database ldap
>> | lastmod  off
>> | rewriteEngine on
>> | suffix dc=orange,dc=de
>> | suffixmassage "dc=orange,dc=de" "o=avci,c=de"
>> | uri ldapi://%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fldapi
>> | overlay proxycache
>> | proxycache hdb 50000 2 100 3600
>> `----
>
> I had upgraded to 2.2.15.  I have a custom DB_CONFIG, I have not
> changed a thing in /etc/system.  Any of those bad ideas?  ;)  I see
> you have enabled the rewrite engine above, btw.  But I don't see any
> rewrite rules.  I also don't use a proxycache.  I sure wish there was
> something concrete I could say.  =)  Hate errors that are non-trivial
> to reproduce.  Perhaps I should investigate the proxycache?  Are you
> running Solaris based servers?

I'm running Linux and use OpenLDAP 2.2.14 and 2.2.15, that is 2.2.14
operates the actual database, but remains in the background, while
2.2.15 acts as proxy to the outer world.
Well, rewrite engine is still required for suffix massaging,
a.f.a.i.k. But that might have changed with rwm overlay. The
configuration of rewrite engine in my slapd.conf is still a relict
from older versions but I get no complains,yet. Ando will know
better.
Proxycache only makes sense if your clients primarily query with a
predefined set of attributes in a defined order.
I know it is of no great help but this server has an uptime of 20 days
now, with only a few hundred requests per day.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
Tel.: +49.40.64861967