openldap versions and silent exit

I just wanted to ask my question again about anyone seeing OpenLDAP 2.1.25 backed by BDB 4.2.52 on RedHat 3 ES (or some similar combination) silently dying under load.  My thread and conn_max* settings are the defaults.  I'm going to mine my logs a bit to see how many nearly concurrent requests the server is seeing when it passes away as I know that I get spikes of requests (maildrop delivering to a distribution list).  I suppose these *COULD* maybe exceed some internal capacity of slapd (surely not the conn_max_pending_auth of 1000 though) and result in some misfortune.

Also, should I consider a more recent version of OpenLDAP and/or BDB?  If so, which are most stable?

Many thanks!

Jamey