From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of Kevin Williams
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 12:32 AM
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: index generation failed

Hi,

I'm doing my first LDAP install and almost completed it without a hitch!
Unfortunately LDAP commands fail on me every time, and I can't figure out
why.  For example, I want to add "Groups" (in an ldif file).  Here's the
file:

dn: ou=Groups,dc=tarity,dc=com
ou: Groups
objectClass: organizationalUnit

If I do it using slapadd it works great!  But if I do it using ldapadd, it
fails with the following error message:
"ldap_add: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
additional info: index generation failed

I get similar error messages when I try to modify or delete records as well
via ldapmodiy.

I traced this down to an index issue (OBVIOUSLY) and removed the following
line from my slapd.conf file (last line in the file):
index	objectClass	eq

When I commented this line out, it worked like a champ...the thing is, I
would like to USE indexes (I've been told their helpful after all:) )

Does anyone know what might be happening here?  Why does the insert of the
object work, but the insert of the index fail?  Is there something I need to
do to configure indexes that I missed during setup?  I'm on Gentoo, using
openldap 2.1.26.

Thanks in advance!