Re: how to make solaris 8 authenticate to an external openldap server

Lara Adianto wrote:
hello,

I would like to make solaris 8 to authenticate to an
external openldap server installed in redhat linux.
The authentication should be secured, probably using
TLS/SSL...

Has anybody achieved this ? I've read this:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200209/msg00588.html,

but I'm getting confused though.

Can I achieve my objective using ldap native client or
should I use the pam_ldap from PADL ? I read somewhere that ldap native client can't use
SSL. Is this true ?

I've experimented on ldap native client, creating
/var/ldap/ldap_client_file, specifying my ldap server
and /var/ldap/ldap_client_cred. But when I do
ldapsearch, I still need to specify the ldap server
using -h option, otherwise I'll get can't contact ldap
server. Why ?

regards,
lara

Strictly speaking this is a question for the NSS list.
In short, in my opinion the Solaris native client is a world of pain, although I *do* remember getting TLS to work - can't remember how.
I recommend the PADL route.

Dave
--
Dave Lewney
Principal Systems Programmer, IT Services