how to make solaris 8 authenticate to an external openldap server

I would like to make solaris 8 to authenticate to an
external openldap server installed in redhat linux.
The authentication should be secured, probably using

Has anybody achieved this ?
I've read this:

but I'm getting confused though.

Can I achieve my objective using ldap native client or
should I use the pam_ldap from PADL ?
I read somewhere that ldap native client can't use
SSL.  Is this true ?

I've experimented on ldap native client, creating
/var/ldap/ldap_client_file, specifying my ldap server
and /var/ldap/ldap_client_cred. But when I do
ldapsearch, I still need to specify the ldap server
using -h option, otherwise I'll get can't contact ldap
server. Why ?

La vie, voyez-vous, ca n'est jamais si bon ni si mauvais qu'on croit
                                                                        - Guy de Maupassant -

Do you Yahoo!?