simple acl

Hello!
I would like to set up a acl which allows a anonymous user write access.

If my sldap.conf has no acl, i can read it just fine.

If i add something silly like:
---
access	to *
by anonymous write
by * write
---
then  i cant even read it as anonymous. Where is my mistake?

(...)Each access level is incremental in interpretation and implies all
previous access levels. For example,  search implies compare and auth
access, whereas write implies complete access. (...)

Cheers, Mario

p.s. i am using
http://sapiens.wustl.edu/~sysmain/info/openldap/openldap_configure_acl.html
as a tutorial.