Re: OpenLDAP 2.1 (?) on RedHat Enterprise summary

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

> > Granted, you will be serving orders of magnitude fewer searches than I
> > am  catering for (our performance target is approx 10000 searches per
> > minute  per server peak) , but we found RHEL3 an order of magnitude
> > slower than  exactly the same hardware / configuration /software
> > versions as RHEL2.1,  and RH could provide no assistance. So, RHEL3
> > doesn't meet the performance  targets (and neither is it certified for
> > clustering on EMC as 2.1 is).
> >
> > The performance problem was present on all the versionsofOpenLDAP we
> > testedon RHEL3 (2.0.27 original RH-provided packags, our own 2.1.25 and
> > 2.1.29 packages etc).
>
> I'm quite interested in this performance issue, because what appears to us
> is that RHEL3.0 performs quite better than 2.1 with threaded software in
> general; can you detail on the kinds of tests you did?

Initially, I did benchmarks with DirectoryMark, later (when it became too
tedious to fire up DirectoryMark for each test RH wanted with
some minor tweak or latest kernel rev) I just scripted some tests as
follows (this is from some of the stuff I send Red Hat where they had
asked that I use specific OpenLDAP packages):

[bgmilne@shadow-telkom tmp]$ ssh 192.168.0.58 "cat /etc/redhat-release;rpm
-qa '
*openldap*'"
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 2.1 (Panama)
openldap-servers-2.0.27-2.7.3
openldap-2.0.27-2.7.3
openldap-clients-2.0.27-2.7.3
[bgmilne@shadow-telkom tmp]$ for j in 10 100 1000 10000;do echo -e "\n$j
searches:";date; for i in `cat /tmp/mail-mailalternateaddress.txt|head -n $j`;do
ldapsearch -h 192.168.0.58 -x -b "cn=mail,ou=isp"
"(&(objectClass=qmailUser)(|(mail=$i)(mailAlternateAddress=$i)))" -LLL dn
>>/dev/null;done;date;done

10 searches:
Wed Mar 17 14:32:40 SAST 2004
Wed Mar 17 14:32:40 SAST 2004

100 searches:
Wed Mar 17 14:32:40 SAST 2004
Wed Mar 17 14:32:43 SAST 2004

1000 searches:
Wed Mar 17 14:32:43 SAST 2004
Wed Mar 17 14:33:06 SAST 2004

10000 searches:
Wed Mar 17 14:33:06 SAST 2004
Wed Mar 17 14:36:59 SAST 2004

[bgmilne@shadow-telkom tmp]$ ssh 192.168.0.58 "cat /etc/redhat-release;rpm
-qa '
*openldap*'"
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 1)
openldap-servers-2.0.27-11
openldap-2.0.27-11
openldap-clients-2.0.27-11
[bgmilne@shadow-telkom tmp]$ for j in 10 100 1000 10000;do echo -e "\n$j
searches:";date; for i in `cat /tmp/mail-mailalternateaddress.txt|head -n $j`;do
ldapsearch -h 192.168.0.58 -x -b "cn=mail,ou=isp"
"(&(objectClass=qmailUser)(|(mail=$i)(mailAlternateAddress=$i)))" -LLL dn
>>/dev/null;done;date;done

10 searches:
Wed Mar 17 14:59:37 SAST 2004
Wed Mar 17 14:59:38 SAST 2004

100 searches:
Wed Mar 17 14:59:38 SAST 2004
Wed Mar 17 14:59:51 SAST 2004

1000 searches:
Wed Mar 17 14:59:51 SAST 2004
Wed Mar 17 15:01:58 SAST 2004

10000 searches:
Wed Mar 17 15:01:58 SAST 2004
Wed Mar 17 15:23:17 SAST 2004

Note that I also used the RH2.1 packages (which are gdbm) on RHEL3, and
had the same behaviour, so it may not be threading-related:
[bgmilne@shadow-telkom bgmilne]$ ssh 192.168.0.58 "cat
[bgmilne@shadow-telkom bgmilne]$ for j in 10 100 1000 10000;do echo -e
"\n$j searches:";date; for i in `cat /tmp/mail-mailalternateaddress.txt|head -n
$j`;do ldapsearch -h 192.168.0.58 -x -b "cn=mail,ou=isp"
"(&(objectClass=qmailUser)(|(mail=$i)(mailAlternateAddress=$i)))" -LLL dn
>>/dev/null;done;date;done

10 searches:
Fri Mar 19 13:48:01 SAST 2004
Fri Mar 19 13:48:02 SAST 2004

100 searches:
Fri Mar 19 13:48:02 SAST 2004
Fri Mar 19 13:48:16 SAST 2004

1000 searches:
Fri Mar 19 13:48:16 SAST 2004
Fri Mar 19 13:50:33 SAST 2004

10000 searches:
Fri Mar 19 13:50:33 SAST 2004
Fri Mar 19 14:13:29 SAST 2004

The file /tmp/mail-mailalternateaddress.txt contained all ~250000 email
addresses in the directory. Tests were run on a Dell 1650 with one 1333GHz
P3 with 1GB ram.

Regards,
Buchan