Replacement for Maildap?

Hi,

First, my question:  Is there a replacement for LDAP v3 that will do a similar thing as maildap (or mail500) that I can use? I use OpenLDAP 2.1.29.

Background:

I am working on a distribution list for an organization with several thousand users. I thought it would be a good idea to use LDAP with Sendmail.  So far, I have been able to use Sendmail’s LDAP support to make rudimentary distribution lists, but these lists are not “entities”, they are just added elements in the user’s LDAP entry, i.e. there is an ObjectClass “MailingList” that everyone is a member of.  Each user then has an element “MailingListName: listname”, for each list he/she is a member of, and Sendmail uses this to build the distribution lists.

I would now like to use the ObjectClass groupOfNames to create a “proper” list and add members to it as elements.  I know several organizations do this, including University of Michgan (although, as far as I know, they use an older schema).

I have noticed mail500 was used by them, but has since been replaced by maildap.  Now, in OpenLDAP version 2.1.29, maildap is not provided.  I checked the cvs logs and see it was taken out in 2002 because it is only for LDAP specification 2.

Thank you.

Chris Drumgoole
R&D Consultant, I.T. UNITED

Tel:  +86-10-6599-2288   Ext.-858
Fax: +86-10-6466-6060
Mob: +86-139-1181-1654
Web: www.ituc.com

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY - I.T. UNITED CORPORATION PROPRIETARY

This message is intended only for use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed and contains information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient, or the agent or employee responsible to deliver it to an intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately bysending a return e-mail to the address in this e-mail and destroy the message and any related attachments to it. Thank you.