Athenticating with LDAP (newbie question)

Title: Athenticating with LDAP (newbie question)

My LDAP server does not require authentication to return search results.  In fact, if you try to set an email application to authenticate against the LDAP server, either using current username and password OR a specified username and password, you get a server error and no results.

Now, I have an application which REQUIRES me to set up LDAP authentication using username and password for it to work.  So, my question is, how do I change my LDAP server to either require, or as an option, accept authentication using username and password.  I have searched for an answer for this, and either cannot find it, or do not understand what I have found.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen Rasmussen