Undefined references building OpenLDAP

Title: Undefined references building OpenLDAP
Hi everybody,

I have the same issue as Harry on this thread: http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200401/msg00437.html

I configure, build and deploy SASL but fail when linking openLDAP, even though I detect the presence of OpenSSL, Kerberos and SASL.  I’ve looked at libsasl2.la as Howard suggests and, exactly as he predicts, the dependencies are not properly set up.  Unfortunately, even if I replace SASL’s generated libtool with the one from OpenLDAP configure, I get the same problem.  I’ve also tried bringing down the latest GNU libtool and tried to squeeze that into SASL’s build but with no luck.

I know this is a SASL build issue, but I thought it would be worthwhile to post the issue here, since there is clearly a lot of SASL-related experience here, given it’s an OpenLDAP prerequisite.  (and there doesn’t appear to be much SASL support around.)

My ultimate goal is to deploy a source-built Samba 3 on Solaris 9 that can join an Active Directory.  According to the docs, Samba requires Kerberos and OpenLDAP and OpenLDAP requires SASL.  Hence my problem.

Here are my questions:

  1. Has anybody’s undefined reference problem been solved with the trick of replacing libtool, as Howard suggested?  If so, exactly what were the steps in case I did not do it correctly.
  2. Is there a pre-built binary for Solaris 9 available, which would allow me to sidestep this whole issue – at least for now
  3. Does anyone know of a prebuilt AD-enabled Samba 3 binary package for Solaris 9 – www.sunfreeware.com only has 2.x versions available.  (I wonder why?)

Here’s my component summary

gcc 3.3.2
Solaris 9 / SPARC
Cyrus SASL 2.1.18
OpenLDAP 2.1.25
Kerberos 1.3.2

If anybody has a success story, or even a hint, I’d be most grateful.

Regards,
Adrian Newby

---------------------------------

Adrian Newby
Chief Technology Officer
Prudent Rx Inc.
100 Corporate Pointe, Suite 395
Culver City, CA 90230

P: +1 (310)642-1700 x124
F: +1 (310)642-1701
e: anewby@prudentrx.com

**Notice of Confidentiality**
The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the communication is prohibited.