Re: memory leak, or "normal" behaviour?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 denis.havlik@t-mobile.at wrote:

[snip]

> Stupid part is that I get a similar growth in the slapd size with simple
> bind as well, which makes the test completely useless:

[snip]

> Good news is that simple bind does not kill slapd, and that the growth
> isn't very steep (restarting slapd once/day should be enough to keep the
> system running fine in my environment), but I still find this memory
> footprint growth ugly.
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1) Am I the only one experiencing this? (Could someone pls. test at his
> site.)

We are experiencing slow (but steady) slapd growth here (OL 2.1.25, BDB
4.2.52 + 1 patch, RedHat 9.0 with all updates, back-bdb). We are only
using simple bind. It takes about three days for our slapd to grow to
140+MB (about 14% of available memory).  Like you, I've been restarting
slapd regularly to bring it back down.

The proper community thing to do (which I have thus far failed to do) is
what Pierangelo says: gather as much info as you can about the problem,
file an ITS. I did download FunctionCheck 1.53 from Howard Chu's Web
site last week and was planning to rebuild OL against it this week to
look for memory leaks. Maybe you'll beat me to it.

--
Kirk Turner-Rustin
Information Systems