slurpd and a growing replog

I see that the replog actually lives independently of slurpd. Per the slurpd
manpage, slurpd just examines this log files, make a quick copy to its own
file, and then syncs to the replica. What is the best method to manage the
replog? I can only assume that after heavy modifications to the directory
itself that the replog will grow quite large. It doesn't make sense to just
delete the file since slapd will have a file handle to it. Do most people
stop slapd, trim or archive the old replog, and then restart slapd after a
period of a few days or weeks?