OpenLDAP 2.2.5 Debug Build Issue

I'm building the OpenLDAP 2.2.5 client libraries using MinGW, and regardless
of specifying --enable-debug=no or --disable-debug when running configure,
the -g gcc command line switch is being used during compilation.  All of the
Makefiles generated by autoconf end up containing:

AC_CFLAGS = -g -O2

For the time being, I've manually stripped out the -g switch from the
Makefiles to compile without the debug symbols included.

The configure command line used was the following:

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mingw --host=i686-pc-mingw32
--enable-debug=no --enable-bdb=no --enable-dynamic --enable-shared
--enable-static=no

Keep in mind I am not attempting to compile all of OpenLDAP, so I've
disabled bdb, etc. when running configure.  This is being done strictly to
compile the client libraries.

Jason