Multi-threaded Client Development With libldap_r

I'm developing a library which uses libldap_r and it must service simultaneous search requests on a single open connection.  These search requests must all access one LDAP handle at the same time and must be able to concurrently return results with out blocking.

Is this type of functionality currently possible to develop using libldap_r?  A lot of documentation I've been able to find about the library states that it is thread-safe; however, I've read some archived list posting that state otherwise.

Kurt posted a response to a similar question back in January 2002, but I'm not sure if the answer given still holds true today:

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200201/msg00045.html

There was also a recent conversation on the dev mailing list about this topic:

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200311/msg00032.html

If the answer is "no, it's not directly supported", is there anything available similar to the functionality in the Mozilla LDAP C libraries that can be tied into (ldap_thread_fns, etc.)?

http://www.mozilla.org/directory/csdk-docs/threaded.htm#15279

Thanks in advance,

Jason