Is checkpoint broken?

I am running openldap 2.1.25 with BDB 4.2.52.1 on RedHat 9.  I have the
statement "checkpoint 1024 30" in my slapd.conf file for my primary
directory database.  However, using the -v flag on the db_archive
command, I don't get a SINGLE checkpoint listed.

Is there a way to verify that the checkpoint statement in slapd.conf is
actually working?  Ie, how do I tell if the db_archive -v command is
broken or the bdb backend is failing to do checkpoints (so I can report
an error to the correct people)?

Thanks,
  Frank