octet string syntax and binary data

Hello all,

I am developing sotware using the openldap C SDK, and I use, among other syntaxes, the Octet String syntax (
As I am encountering an "invalid syntax" problem (that I have not yet enough investigated), I would like to know if there is a special way to use binary data when dealing with attributes of octet string syntax, like encoding functions for example (sometimes I hear talking about "base 64" encoding). I should add that I am not sure about how using the LDAPMod structure in such a case.

Thank you very much

François Beretti