windows and ldap c++ development

I have been given the assignment off adding LDAP authentication of users to
a program
running under windows 98. I am developing using microsoft visual c++ 6.0. I
have downloaded and unzipped openldap-2.2.4, but I see this is meant to be
built into a unix environment. I only want to add user and password searches
to my program, and all the libraries, headers etc seem to be already
present,
just some of the names and paths are different. (e.g. ldap_types.h.in
instead of ldap_types_h). Am I going to be able to do a build under 98, or
is there a way I can access the routines I need without doing this. I have
very little experience with LDAP, so apologise if my question has been
posted before, but any help, or pointing to appropriate sources would be
much appreciated.

Greg