Slave should send a referral to master, right?

Hello -

I'm playing around with slurpd and replication. I've set up my master
and my slave and confirmed that replication is taking place -- anything
added to the master is sent to the slave. However, my understanding from
the administrator's guide is that if I try to add a new record to the
slave, it will send my client back to the master. However, I don't see
it doing that. I can simply add to the slave and the master knows
nothing about it. What am I doing wrong?

-jag

-----
>From master's slapd.conf:
database bdb
suffix "dc=domain,dc=tld"
rootdn "uid=root,dc=domain,dc=tld"
... <snip> ...
replogfile /var/lib/ldap/slurpd/slurpd.log
replica host=slave bindmethod=simple binddn=uid=root,dc=domain,dc=tld
credentials=secret

-----
>From slave's slapd.conf:

database        bdb
suffix          "dc=domain,dc=tld"
rootdn          "uid=root,dc=domain,dc=tld"
... <snip> ...
updatedn uid=root,dc=domain,dc=tld

------
ldapadd on the slave:
ldapadd -c -w secret -x -D "uid=root,dc=domain,dc=tld"
dn: mail=joshg@domain.tld,ou=mailboxes,dc=domain,dc=tld
mail: joshg@domain.tld
deliverTo: joshg@domain.tld
mailDrop: /mail/domain.tld/j/joshg
userPassword: foobar
cn: joshg at domain dot tld
objectclass: bsiEmail
structuralObjectClass: bsiEmail
quota: 1000S,99
status: active
                                                                                adding new entry "mail=joshg@domain.tld,ou=mailboxes,dc=domain,dc=tld"

-------
Query on the master:
# ldapsearch -x -b "ou=mailboxes,dc=domain,dc=tld"
"(mail=joshg@domain.tld)"
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <ou=mailboxes,dc=domain,dc=tld> with scope sub
# filter: (mail=joshg@domain.tld)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result