Re: logging

--On Wednesday, December 10, 2003 8:20 PM -0800 James Courtney <Jcourtney@inphonic.com> wrote:

Does anyone have a good solution to log file management with OpenLDAP
2.1.22?  If I use syslog it goes to a file of my choosing per
syslog.conf.  This is fine but I'd like to be able to delete the log file
when it gets too big or on restart of the server which means I then have
to kill -HUP syslogd to recreate the file.  I'm currently considering
using the Apache log rotator (see script below).  Is this good, bad?  Can
I accomplish the same with syslogd or some other method?  Is there a
difference in efficiency?  This LDAP is backing a 20,000 user mail system
with some extras so it produces a fair amount of log information.  Does
anyone have a recommended loglevel for production?  I'd like to keep it
high to start while we make sure the server is running well.  Thanks for
your help!

James,

You might like to try this:

<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/newsyslog/>

It is what we use here at Stanford for a lot of different types of log rotation, including slapd's output log via syslog.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer