Problem adding entries via ldapadd, OpenLDAP2-2.1.4-26 (SuSE Linux 8 install)

I have created an ldif of my /etc/passwd file.  All looks well there and I am at the point now where I want to execute the ldapadd command.  I enter the command as follows:

ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=my-domain,dc=org" -W -f passwd.ldif

I receive the following error:

adding new entry "uid=root,ou=People,dc=my-domain,dc=org"
ldapadd: update failed: uid=root,ou=People,dc=my-domain,dc=org
ldap_add: No such object (32)
        matched DN: dc=my-domain,dc=org

I previously executed the ldapadd command above using the file my.ldif which follows:

dn: dc=my-domain,dc=org
objectclass: dcObject
objectclass: organization
o: My Org
dc: my-domain

dn: cn=Manager,dc=my-domain,dc=org
objectclass: organizationalRole
cn: Manager

Need help getting my /etc/passwd file loaded...   -Thanks!

Eric Sammons
(804)697-3925
FRIT - Unix Systems