high availability referrals

 I will explain a problem below and hope that somebody here has a good
solution about high availability of referred DIT namespace portions.

				LDAP Master - ldap-1.foo.com

			|			|
		ou=locations		ou=local-data
		   + ou=europe
			| is
referral to ldap://ldap-4.foo.com/ou=europe,ou=locations,dc=foo,dc=com

Replication Scenario:

Top Level (dc=foo,dc=com)
Master:		ldap-1
Replicas:	ldap-2, ldap-3

Second Level (ou=europe,dc=foo,dc=com)
Master:		ldap-4
Replicas:	ldap-5, ldap-6

 So, you can see that a virtual tree is formed via the use of referrals.
Everything is fine if "ldap-1" dies, since the same referral has been
replicated to "ldap-2" and "ldap-3" and clients can query those boxes.

 What happens if "ldap-4" dies? There are two replicas of "ldap-4" waiting
to service requests, but the referral from the top-level doesn't point to
them. The virtual tree becomes broken and requires manual intervention to
"fix" it, e.g.  modifying the referral on "ldap-1" to point to "ldap-5"
or to "ldap-6".

 Does somebody know of a more intelligent and automatic method of
handling this? Replies to list and my email, please :-)