[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

Re: slapadd filching memory

Jong wrote:
I recently added a very large amount of data to a fresh installation:
about 200K entries with significant text and lots of interrelationships.
The ldif file itself was over 11 Mb. I used slapadd.
I fiddled with DB cache
values (4 Mb in a single block seemed to work best); that helped
efficiency somewhat but memory keeps disappearing in the same manner.

4Mb DB cache size of the second case is too small a value wrt the ldif size. What is the DB cache value of the first case ? I suspect the first thrashing is at the OS layer while the second is at the BDB layer. This means that the DB cache size was set either too high or too low. Try some values in between...

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to leave the data loaded for now to do some development. I'll try more cache values next time I rebuild the database.

In my testing for this and other problems I tried 2, 4, 8, and 16 Mb. I'm happy to boost efficiency anywhere, but my systems spend more time as a server than in loading data, so I'd prefer to tailor the cache settings to a live profile. I'll only be loading this data this big every so often, and I'm just as happy to cut it into chunks. What I'm more concerned about is the memory staying gone...

>>The problem is that the memory is not released, neither during the
>>slapadd (which would've helped), nor after the process is completed,
>>(successfully or not). Starting and stopping slapd does nothing. I have
>>to restart the machine to get the memory back.