Re: slapd and checkpoint

--On Tuesday, November 04, 2003 9:09 AM +0100 " Jehan.Procaccia" <Jehan.Procaccia@int-evry.fr> wrote:

Ok thanks for that explanation, I've added a "checkpoint 200 3600" in my
slapd.conf !
Now how can I check that checkpoint did occurred an when was the last one
? a certain loglevel of slapd could show it, or use of db_printlog ?

I saw in berkeley db utilities that db_checkpoint in a deamon process,
shouldn't there be a db_checkpoint proccess running in memory as I have a
checkpoint directive in my slapd.conf , or checkpoint activity is
integrated into slapd process itself ?

Again, I had to recover my database (often my daily slapcat crashes,
although I did stopped slapd before !?, perhaps by adding a checkpoint
directive to my slapd.conf file will prevent those crash as slapd stops
will be faster ... !?). Here's what I ran:

[root@openldap /var/lib/ldap/int]
$ /usr/sbin/slapd_db_recover -e -v
db_recover: Finding last valid log LSN: file: 11 offset 8176319
db_recover: Recovery starting from [11][8069226]
db_recover: Recovery complete at Tue Nov  4 08:52:30 2003
db_recover: Maximum transaction ID 800001fb Recovery checkpoint
[11][8178262]
db_recover: Recovery complete at Tue Nov  4 08:52:30 2003
db_recover: Maximum transaction id 80000000 Recovery checkpoint
[11][8178262]

Here I see that it recovered from latest checkpoint in log.000000011 at
offset 8069226, but how can I translate that to a date, or to know what
was the latest ldap operation commited. Everytime I am running a recover,
I'am scared to loose information !.

Jehan,

I don't know how you would convert the checkpoint offset to a timestamp either. AFAIK, the checkpointing done by the checkpoint directive is done inside of slapd (probably as part of back-bdb). If slapcat is crashing and slapd isn't running, the I'd imagine you have serious issues with the integrity of your database and/or the hardware on which it is residing... Does slapcat give any errors when it crashes?

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer