slapd and checkpoint

hello,

I am wondering if slapd is checkpointing the database at every start or stop ?
If slapd.conf doesn't contain a "checkpoint" directive, there won't be any checkpoint done ?
Mine doesn't contain one until now ... but db_archive tells me that only the last log file is usefull (log.0000000011), so I conclude that checkpoints have occured, but when ? how can we check when the latest checkpoint happened , and did it worked fine ?
With cyrus imapd (using bdb) we can check that, there's also a utility that checkpoints/(recover ?) the databases at every start of the daemon:
START {
# do not delete this entry!
recover cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"

Is it a good practice to do a db_recover before starting slapd ?

Thanks.

--
Jehan Procaccia, Ingenieur Systemes & Reseaux
Institut National des Telecommunications, Tel : +33 (0) 160764436