ACL's - read but not search?

I want to create a set of ACL's that will allow users to view certain attributes, but not search on those attributes. The biggest example is phone numbers. I want to allow users to look up the phone number for a person, but not look up the person for that phone number.

For a single ACL, if I permit a specific action, I also permit all actions actions above it also. For example, read access implies search access, and write access implies both read and search access.

Does anyone know of a way to allow read access on an attribute, without search access on that same attribute?

Matt Richard
Access and Security Coordinator
Franklin & Marshall College