I have some basic directory that contain users/customers/dns/email information of our customers,

I want to build a bash script (using dialog for interactive menus) to add/delete/modify information on the ldap,

For adding functionality, I can construct on the fly LDIF files and add information through ldapadd,

The problem is about modifying/delete.

Is that possible to get a list of entries from the directory (by seeking specific parameters) and return them as variables(or arrays) on shell script such as BASH? Or this is too complex and maybe I should move to more advanced script languages?