Re: Alternative to OpenLDAP

You might want to look into using Mac OS X Server. Its directory services are actually based on Open LDAP/bdb in the soon to come next release 10.3 (according to apple). They also tie Samba 3 and (if you so desire an MIT KDC) into the same user database, so PCs and *NIX/OSX clients are working from the same central user/password store. From my experience it plays pretty well with Kerberos, so AD integration is a possibility.

What does this buy you, you say? Well, I am not intimately familiar with what you have had trouble getting to work, but if the issue is that you would like to use an open source LDAP solution, but you are having a difficult time getting it up and running, Apple traditionally puts a lot of time and effort into making sure things "just work". In the case of Mac OS X Server, they are using OpenLDAP as the engine underneath and doing a lot of the legwork to getting it working for you out of the box. They also provide some GUI management/setup tools that make things easier.

Like I said, it depends on your situation, but its something to look into.

Aaron