Re: ldaps access with RedHat 7.3 installation

I am posting this a second time, hope you haven't seen it twice, I
noticed the previous post was in reply to a message somewhat old and
hasn't arrived since sending it several hours ago.....

> Some users have been helped with this doc:
> http://www.openldap.org/pub/ksoper/OpenLDAP_TLS_howto.html.  Give it a
try.
> I have only configured OpenLDAP 2.1.x for TLS.  If 2.0.x is
problematic in
> that area, I hope someone will chime in and encourage you to upgrade
to it.

Yes, this is a great document. I understand the concept much better now.
My RedHat 7.3 server already had an OpenLDAP package 2.0.27 installed.
Not sure if it had been built with the --tls option and not being able
to get it to work, I built 2.1.22 per the document.

The server runs fine and all favorable responses through step 6.1. In
step 4.3, I created the Client Certificate and moved into a directory
that I could access the files from the workstation. Then on the
workstation, I moved the files into a certs directory beneath the home
directory. I proceeded to create the ldap.conf and .ldaprc files as
shown in the document.

After I had started the LDAP server in step 6.0, I added the
organization and manager items without the TLS option locally. So, no
need to do step 6.1. At step 6.2 I tried a search:

ldapsearch -b 'dc=webtent,dc=org' -D "cn=Manager,dc=webtent,dc=org"
'(objectclass=*)' -W -H ldaps://localhost -x

>From the workstation using this command, I get:

Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server

What do you think I'm doing wrong? I do have a firewall, but not between
the workstation and server. And pinging webtent.org from the workstation
returns the inside IP from local DNS.

--
Robert